Lolita Fashion - Dolls - Historic Homes - Art - Sewing - Creative Writing - Film - Literature - All things cute!

Saturday 26 April 2014

Aspergirls by Rudy Simone

I was reluctant to read this book, because I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to relate to the author or the ladies she interviewed at all. Then what? Did I really have Asperger's, or was I just confused and slightly on the disturbed side? Within the past year or so, doctors have tried to diagnose me with all kinds of things; schizophrenia, OCD, conversion disorder, PANDAS, but when they mentioned Autism Spectrum Disorder I knew that was it. So when I read this book, I was really happy to know I relate to literally all the sections in the book, and I wasn't schizophrenic or whatever other thing doctors have suggested was what made me sick. In fact, it was strange how much I could relate to a lot of the experiences in this book. It was although someone had written a book about me! XD

Despite being a neurological disorder, Aspergers and Autism has a lot of stigma. In fact, just the other day I overheard a group of girls in my form giggling about it; the word 'special' was mentioned, and I just felt so angry. I kept calm and ignored them, when what I really wanted to do was explain to them what autism really is, and how it effects people. It is very complex and differs in every person. Some are high-functioning (like myself) and can sometimes carry out conversation, but find it very dull and tiring, as well as other things, and some people are unable to speak at all. One thing I think we all have is sensory issues. I have a lot of those. I'm very sensitive to light, smell (I can't wear or go near anybody who sprays perfume), touch, and most of all, sound. Most people with ASD are very intelligent and fastidious when it comes to school and work. So really, I don't know what all the neurotypicals (as the author in Aspergirls calls people without ASD) fuss about.

My favourite section of Aspergirls was the part about careers and future. It made me feel like the future isn't going to be so scary after all, and that I can do anything as long as I set my mind to it.

Also, it made me realise my dreams for when I leave school. I want to go to a local college to study Art and Design, Creative Writing, and maybe French and German. And when I leave college, I would like to become a writer and a costume designer for film sets.

Basically, I really enjoyed reading this book! It gave me a boost of confidence, as well as the realisation that I'm not crazy, and I'm not a freak. I would recommend this to anybody with ASD, or their family - it really explains things well, and will come in useful in times of stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment